Some Un-Known Facts About Shraddha Walker
- Shraddha Walker, a Maharashtra-born Indian woman, was strangled to death by her live-in partner in 2022, Aftab Poonawala. Her partner is said to have hacked up her body into thirty-five pieces and disposed of them in various locations in the South Chhatarpur forest in Delhi.
- Another way to spell her name is Shraddha Walker.
- Shraddha reportedly began working as a customer service representative for a Mumbai-based company in April 2017 and remained there till March 2018. From 2018 to 2020, she also held the position of Sales Manager at a retail sports store in Dahisar, Maharashtra.
- She reportedly decided to take her public media program final examinations and quit her job amid the COVID-19 pandemic. She later joined an IT company and worked her way up from customer care representative to team leader.
- Shraddha reportedly smoked marijuana in the past.
- In 2018, Shraddha and Aftab connected via the internet dating app “Bumble.”
- They are said to have moved to Delhi in March 2022 and taken up residence in a leased home in Mehrauli’s Chhatarpur neighborhood. There are conflicting reports about why they moved to Delhi: some say it was because Shraddha’s parents did not approve of their relationship, while others say Shraddha went with Aftab to Delhi since he was hired by an IT company there.
- Rajat Shukla, a friend of Shraddha, claims that Shraddha and Aftab had a violent relationship. In an interview, Rajat said that Shraddha had previously warned her friends about Aftab’s violent behavior and that she had tried to quit their relationship but had been unable to. During the interview, Rajat Shukla stated,
“Her murder was unexpectedly reported on my phone today. The news that my friend had been killed really shocked me. She had disclosed to us in 2019 that she had been dating since 2018. They shared a home. They had a happy life together until Shraddha began to complain that Aaftab hits her. She was unable to leave him even though she wanted to”
- The pair allegedly began to have disputes frequently, and their relationship grew bad. To start their relationship over, the couple even decided to travel to the highlands in March and April. But the couple’s conflicts began all over again. On May 18, 2022, Aftab became enraged after Shraddha put stress on him to get married. He then used a saw to cut her body into 35 pieces and stored it in a 300-liter refrigerator he had purchased from the neighborhood market for his rental apartment in Delhi. It is said that Aftab flung the pieces in a row, at various locations throughout the city.
- It is reported that on October 12, 2022, Shraddha’s father filed a missing person’s report at the Manickpur police station in Vasai, Maharashtra, following his learning of his daughter’s abduction for about 2.5 months in September 2022 from one of her acquaintances. After thereafter, the case was moved to the Mehrauli police station in New Delhi because that was where Shraddha last lived.
- Aftab Poonawala was taken into custody from his Chhatarpur home on November 11, 2022, by sections 302 (murder) and 201 (causing the disappearance of evidence of an offense committed).
- Aftab allegedly paid Shraddha’s credit card bills and maintained her social media presence to allay suspicions.
- According to reports, Shraddha’s father, Vikash Walker, thought there had to be a “love jihad” component to the death of his daughter and suspected Aftab of being involved in her disappearance. According to Vikash Walker in an interview,
I sensed a romantic jihad component. We call for Aftab to be executed. I have faith that Delhi Police and the investigation are headed in the correct way. Shraddha didn’t talk to me much because she was close to her uncle. I never communicated with Aftab. I filed the initial complaint in Vasai, Mumbai”
- Sources claim that Shraddha’s relationship with her father was so bad when she was a teenager that she told her college professors and friends that her father did not live with the family and that she was the only one who made money.
- It was discovered during the investigation that Shraddha had complained to the police at Tilunj, in their hometown of Vasai, Maharashtra, on November 23, 2020, expressing her concern that Aftab would chop her to pieces. She allegedly filed a petition to the police complaining that Aftab had assaulted her at their shared apartment. As stated in the letter, Shraddha
He scared me and threatened to kill me, mutilate me, and discard me after he attempted to kill me today by choking me. He has been striking me for six months, but I never had the courage to call the police because he would always threaten to kill me”
- In the murder case of Shraddha Walker, Aftab was charged with murder on May 9, 2023, by the Saket Court in Delhi. Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Manisha Khurana Kakkar stated the following when announcing the order:
You are liable for the murder of Shraddha Walkar on May 18, 2022, after 6:30 am, as per Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). You dismembered her body between May 18 and October 18, intending to hide the evidence, and disposed of it in Chattarpur and other locations while knowing that a crime had been committed. Thus, you have committed the crime of evidence disappearance”
- To read the Police Files of Shraddha’s death report click on this link Crime Files.